Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Protect the Birth Space

My children are small so I rarely offer my doula services, yet this couple had that pleading look in their eyes. It was going to be her second birth, and I felt the right energy from them. I told them if she happened to go into labor on the weekend when my children were not around I would do it. Of course she went into labor on the weekend. Long story short it was not a wonderful birth.

I had never been part of a birth like this. No epidural or pitocin, and we labored in all positions and walked and showered. I arrived at the hospital at 11 pm and her water had been broken since 9 pm. It was now 2:45 pm the next day. I knew something was wrong. She had been 7 cm since 5:30 am. I thought the baby must not be in a good position. I mentioned this to the midwife who was checking her, I do not know what happened exactly, but I think she turned the baby during her check. The midwife suggested pitocin to help. She left the room. The woman in labor stood up and went to the bathroom.

In the next moment the nurse and midwife flew back into the room and asked the woman to get in the bed because the baby's heart rate had dropped. The midwife was trying to insert an internal monitor when she discovered the cord had prolapsed. They called a code and snatched the bed from the wall with the midwife on the bed, her hand inside the mother keeping the baby's head from descending, into surgery they rushed. I was left with the father praying for the baby's life.

Cesareans are life saving and needed for rare cases such as this. The baby was healthy and strong without any complications.

No one could have predicted a prolapse cord. I just keep thinking I am so glad she never did get pitocin which she was strongly offered four times.

What I realized from this birth is that it was so hard to keep the mother's space protected. From about 7 am to 9:30 am when the morning staff comes into work, multiple people came in to the mother's room to introduce themselves, and talk to her about her plans.

This was very disruptive to the mother and it stalled her labor out for awhile. She was visibly discouraged and bothered from the interruptions.

I just keep wondering if this affected the outcome.

My lesson is above all protect the birth space!

Women are not protected and safe when they give birth. They are frightened, scared, and discouraged. I know that we can make birth better, and women can be free to say, "I don't want to be checked now", or "I don't want you in my room now".

I'll send my thoughts out later about how to protect the birth space.

No comments: