Friday, October 5, 2007

Dream Come True

I am on the path of my dreams. When I was a girl I was fascinated by babies. I would ask mothers to please let me hold their babies. They did. Who knew that from my girlhood I was already on the path to becoming a childbirth educator.

I began in this field innocently enough as a fill in for a friend's husband who was out of the country during her pregnancy and labor. I had no clue that going to childbirth classes and meeting her at the hospital when she was in labor would bring me to this point. I did not know that I was a "doula", and that was a job or that even teaching the classes was a job.

As the path continues you always get to the right place. I had been working at Kaiser in membership service for 3 years when I got a transfer to health education. In health education I scheduled patients to attend childbirth classes. After a few months, my manager mentioned that she thought I would make a great educator, and guess what, she was right.

She has been a mentor to me.

Now I get to mentor other educators and I love it.

ICEA just put into place this new program of approved trainers who provide childbirth teacher training workshops
worldwide.

I was just really thinking and praying to do something like this and of course you knew this opportunity would open up at just the right time for me. All the pieces are in place. My kids are older and I am single, so I feel free to travel.

I am eager for this coming year to meet you.

I hope you will find the same joy I do in this amazing field, empowering women everywhere!

Peace

No comments: